Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Thankful

Today is December 29 and I am thankful.

I am thankful for my parents.

Today is my parents' 38th wedding anniversary. 38 years. In the age of divorce, the years alone are an accomplishment. But not only have my parents managed to stay married, they are still in love.

As many of you know, my dad has been bravely fighting cancer for 12 years. This Fall has been exceptionally difficult. It has been awe inspiring to see them band together. So, here's to you Pat and Tom. Happy 38th anniversary. Thank you for being an example. I am proud to be your daughter. I love you.


I am thankful for my son.

A year ago today I checked into the hospital with pregnancy complications. Hayes was not quite 31 weeks and I was, for the second time, in labor. Me and my boy stayed in that hospital until January 20th. I left, praise God, still pregnant. Hayes arrived almost a month later, just 2 weeks early. It took a lot of faith and the effort of many people to get our family through that period in the hospital and the other 5 weeks of bed rest. Looking back, I know that I was insanely scared and guilty about not being there for Drew and Lucy. But today I am having trouble remembering what it felt like. Because today my Hayes-man greeted me from his crib with a huge smile and a loud "geeeeeeeeeeeee" and when I picked him up, his little arms hugged me back.


God is good.
All the time.
Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Maggie, while the years and miles separate us, I am glad we are still connected. You are (apparently) still the same positive, cheerful person I remember from high school. Thank you for sharing your sweet post. It brought tears of joy and hope to my eyes. I pray for your dad to be cured, and I pray that I will get to see 38 years of marriage in love! And, I rejoice for God's grace with you and Hayes! Happy new year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete